Password

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Thu Oct 14 10:19:04 UTC 2010

On Thursday 14 October 2010, Colin Law wrote:
(...)
> > By the way, Jitender, the answers you received about how to solve your
> > problem also spell out that your system - or anyone's system - is not
> > safe just because you have provided a password to logon to your system.
> >
> > If your computer is stolen then anyone knowing the answers you have been
> > given can get inside your system. Or, of course, if you allow someone to
> > access your computer without your presence, the same thing....
> >
> > Which is why there is the recommendation that you encrypt your
> > installation.
>
> Though of course if he had encrypted then he would be completely stuffed
> now.
>
> Is that an official Ubuntu recommendation?
>
> Colin

Each one has to define risks and security for his own situation. I would
_never_ encrypt my system (a partition maybe) because the risk of being
locked out of my data is way bigger for me than the (fairly remote) risk of
someone sneeking into my data (to find what?).

If I were rich or if I had very valuable data it would be different.

Most of our data anyway are probably protected only by the user password so...

Thierry

--
"We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth, an there
is a vast ignorance of science" James Lovelock