Password

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Thu Oct 14 04:44:28 UTC 2010

On Thursday 14 October 2010, Jitender Kiraria wrote:
> I have forgotten Password to my Ubuntu 8.0 system........Is there any way
> to login or restore the password.......Please Someone help me !!!!!!!!!!!
> Otherwise I will have to format the system........Thanx.......

You can boot from a live CD, mount your root partition and delete the passowrd
the /etc/shadow (delete the part between the first and the second ":").

Then you log in without password and create a new one

Thierry

--
"We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth, an there
is a vast ignorance of science" James Lovelock