Video Camera

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Wed Oct 13 20:48:11 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 13 October 2010, Rob wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> Does anyone know how or if it is possible to get a Logitech QuickCam
> working under Ubuntu 10.10?  I have QuickCam 8.3.0 software for Windows
> but not aware of how to get it working in Linux.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>
> Regards,
> RobF

First you can try just pluging it in and see what happens.

Next thing is to open a terminal and type: "lsusb" (without the quotes)

Look for the output for your device. For example on my laptop it says:

Bus 002  Device 003: ID 064e:e201  Suyin Corp. Lenovo Intergrated Webcam

The ID code (here 064e:e201) may help you find more information how to access
your webcam. 064e is the code for Suyin corp., e201 would be the webcam type.

Looking here:
http://www.iowa-assessors.org/htdocs/Assessors_of_Iowa/Ringgold/a.php?r=%2Fvar%2Flib%2Fmisc%2Fusb.ids

Logitech's ID should be 046d, with lots of types of Quickcam ( more than 50!)

However it's not all the story, as actually my "Suyin" webcam happens to work
very well with the UVC driver....

As far as I know there is no way to make a Windows driver work under Linux
(except some modem/wifi drivers with ndiswrapper). And from my experience
Webcams don't work well in emulators either.

Today more webcams are UVC compatible, and this includes some of Logitech's.
So you might just install guvcview and look if it works. If not, I would
suggest buying an UVC compatible webcam as it should work in any of Windows,
Mac and Linux OS. Look here: http://www.uvccompatiblewebcams.com/

Thierry

--
"We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth, an there
is a vast ignorance of science" James Lovelock