Nvidia proprietary driver install problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 13 16:32:13 UTC 2010

On 10/13/2010 03:46 AM, Holg Ru wrote:

> Hi, as I recently implemented the Ubuntu Marverick 64bit BETA Version
> on my new laptop (sony vaio VPCF12S1E) everything worked pretty well,
> except some little glitches but no show stoppers, including the
> proprietary Nvidia drivers for compiz. Then around one week before
> the release date of Marverick a new update of the Nvidia drivers came
> along and things were broken down. I could not get the drivers to
> work any more. The X-server seems to load but freezes on a certain
> stage before the logging screen can come up. I had to reboot and
> de-install this drivers. I reviewed a couple of posts but not luck to
> solve this problem. I am not sure on what the problem relies on, but
> now also when I use the browser sometimes the whole screen freezes
> only the mouse can be moved. Has anyone a solution to this or
> experienced the same problem?

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers/+bug/657634>
[[GeForce GT 330M] nvidia 260.19.06-0ubuntu1 update triggers black
screen on boot for sony vaio F-series]

Subscribe to that bug report. Good luck, my systems use the nvidia-96
legacy drivers... which haven't been updated by nVidia to work with
10.10, so those machines all stay at 10.04, or use the vesa driver.