Samba Mount and Transfer Speed

Amichai Rotman amichai at iglu.org.il
Wed Oct 13 13:52:48 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have a Media Gateway device that serves as a LAN switch, WiFi AP and a USB
2.0 Host for Media Sharing (among other capabilities).

I have connected an external USB 2.0 Hitachi Prestige 1TB HDD to the USB
Host containing media files (video and audio) to be shared over the LAN.

I have one desktop PC running Ubuntu Lucid and one Asus EeePC 1000HE netbook
running Ubuntu Lucid (UNE).

The files are shared using the Samba protocol. When I tried to access the
files (play them directly from the share) the video was jerky and the audio
skipped. It seemed as if the transfer rate is too low...

a) How can I make sure what's the actual speed ?
b) Is there a way to speed it up?

Thanks!

Amichai Rotman