video problem

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Oct 12 06:53:48 UTC 2010

On 12/10/2010 16:59, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 12, 2010 01:47 PM, Brian Hazelton wrote:
>
>> i did a vmstat 1 and i did get some numbers around 60 when i opened or
>> closed a prog, other than that nothing outragous, i was able to play
>> chromium without the glitch.
>> parole plays movies without the glitch as well, i am thinking it is just
>> vlc that is screwing things up.
>>
> Ah, well the vlc packagers might like to get a bug report on it then.
> Enjoy your lappie for a few more years!

This has most likely nothing to do with solving this hassle but I run
both xine and vlc.

Because at the moment I only have 512MB of RAM, and a much slower CPU to
play with, I checked which of these apps used less cpu resources ('cause
I noticed "stuttering" when using vlc). I found that vlc uses more cpu
than xine. And I do not have (naturally) any Visual Effects activated
even though I do have the nVidia driver installed via the Hardware Drivers.

BC

--
There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
                          W C Fields