10.04 LTS system locking when viewing Flash content

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Oct 12 05:32:00 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, October 12, 2010 01:23 PM, Anthony Papillion wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 13:06 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> On Tuesday, October 12, 2010 12:57 PM, Anthony Papillion wrote:
>
>> You did not mention what graphics chip and driver you are using. For it
>> to take out the computer and leave you with a gray and white screen is
>> almost certainly driver related.
>
> Sorry about that too. I suck at asking for help apparently lol.
> The laptop is an Acer 5100 with an ATI Radeon XPress 1100.  To be
> honest, I'm not really sure what drivers I'm using. I know I enabled
> restricted software so I assume I'm using either an official ATI driver
> or whatever came with Ubuntu.

:-D. I was kind of expecting to see you say that you have an ATI. Grep
for fglrx or taints in /var/log/dmesg in a terminal.

I use Nvidia so I get:

grep nvidia /var/log/dmesg
[   78.013077] nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.

That should tell us whether you are using AMD's binary driver or not.