could not calculate the upgrade

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 04:08:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 07:50 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 1:07 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Ok just wanted to know if this unreasonable crash of update has not
> >> harmed my system in any way.
> >
> > You must not have updated Lucid, prior to the upgrade, to be holding
> > broken packages. The update will ask you if you want to remove broken
> > packages.
> I did updated prior to upgrade.
> >
> > I quote:
> > "An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
> > E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."
> >
> > Note: it says "you have held" not "unreasonable crash". Linux will do,
> > unlike another OS I know of, whatever you tell it to do. 99.9% of the
> > time, the problems lies between the chair and the keyboard. Besides,
> > what prevents you from doing a fresh install as many suggest? If you
> > know better, why ask when it blows up? Ric
>  I have to work also rather than just doing installations and formatting.

If that is a consideration, as it is for many folks like me, a fresh
install can be quicker and --far far less messier--. That has been my
point to you from the start. You're new, you don't need the hassles.
Heck, I'm OLD and don't want the hassles. I want to use my computer to
do useful things and get back to my business, developing software for
rehab purposes. Of course in my business, if my "clients" don't listen
to me they go to the hole, led there by two nasty guards.

I know guys, eat your hearts out. <chuckles> :) Ric

Linux user# 44256