A+ material

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Oct 12 00:14:27 UTC 2010

On Friday, October 08, 2010 07:43 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 10/07/2010 07:59 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> Hahaha, one of my then new bosses made fun of my RHCE back in 2002 (got
>> mine in 2001) and said that he would certify me whereas another boss who
>> interviewed me said that the RHCE had zero bearing on his decision to
>> hire me and give me a better position than the one I was applying for.
>>

>           I have a certification as a BSEE. I didn't have to explain what
> it means. It is a four year effort in a college to get a BSEE and I had
> people coming to me wanting me to work for them in 1962.

Them must be the good old days. Too bad a similar piece of paper today
cannot even get your foot in the door never mind the fact hundreds would
still need on the job training and thousands end up doing something
entirely different from what they studied.

>       The RHCE is good certification too. It takes time and you have to
> do things to get it. It makes you smart in Linux.

It does? When I first heard of the RHCE, I was told stories of how the
exam was mowing down the examinees by the students in the Linux class I
was instructing. One company sent a dozen on all the courses from RH133
to RH300 and ended up with nobody getting certified. Then there are
others who just go for the exam (RH302 - included with the RH300 course)
and if they fail the first time, they are sure they will get it the
second time and save on paying the cost of a RH300 course, never mind
all the recommended prerequisite courses. I went on a RH300 course so I
spent just one week in preparing for the RHCE. It does not make you
smart in Linux. You have to already have a certain amount of competency
at Linux to get the RHCE. That is why it is 'good certification'. You
cannot fake it. But whether it is enough for certain people is another
matter. Which is also why Redhat now has RHCA certification for those
who have a higher demand in competency.