Upgraded packages that require a restart

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Oct 11 14:36:41 UTC 2010

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:27:24 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 11 October 2010 09:21, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
>> On 11 October 2010 09:13, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> I think the OP was asking how he could tell in advance whether a
>>> reboot would be required.  Possibly he wants to delay updates that
>>> would require a re-boot.
>>>

>> Indeed. On OSX each update which requires a reboot has a little icon
>> next to it, so you know which ones to avoid if you don't want to
>> restart.
>>
>> Filed a bug anyway to get it on their radar, even if it's just a
>> wishlist.
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager-core/
+bug/658169

> As a corollary to this if I perform an update which asks for a re-boot
> but it is not convenient so to do at the moment, so I say Restart Later,
> is there any risk of the PC mis-behaving before I do restart? In other
> words is it definitely advisable to re-boot as soon as possible?

If libc were updated, maybe. Seems like I had some curious segfaults with
some apps after a libc6 package update one time. Everything else,
probably not as long as the old versions of binaries are not already in
use. I think one reason that libcrypto and libssl require reboots is
because there are system services running like cupsd that would still
have the vulnerable versions loaded in memory. Rather than force
restarting every app and service dependent on those libs through a post-
install script, it's just easier to have the user reboot the system.

--
sktsee