Upgrading from 10.04.1 to Maverick 10.10

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Oct 11 11:26:28 UTC 2010

Basil Chupin wrote:
> OK, I thought, now let's get the "main" system done but as an upgrade
> - since Update Manager keeps telling me that there is an upgrade to
> my up-to-date 10.04.1.
>
> So, I press the button.
>
> Several minutes later I am informed that-
>
> that about 12 packages are no longer supported by Canonical but I may
> be able to get support from the "community" - or some words to this
> effect;
>
> that there will be some 803MB(!) to be downloaded which will take
> about 1 1/2 hours to do;
>
> that 1240 packages will be upgraded; and

For me it was about 1400 packages with a download of about 1.5GB / 40
minutes (sorry, I didn't write down exact numbers). Obviously I have
some more packages installed than you, but I think your system also had
more packages than you get with the CD.

> that all this will take possibly several hours...........
>
> ...........Do you want to Upgrade?
>

> Well, what do you think?!

The warning of several hours is surely a precautionary measure for slow
machines like mine. I continued and after the download, the first guess
with real numers was 4 hours. After about 1/4 hour the estimated time
was down to 1.5 hours which was already quite good - finally it was
finished two hours after the download.

But the upgrade time really depends a lot on the machine. It was about
the same time I needed for the last upgrade on this machine (laptop with
1,7 GHz Pentium M and rather slow disk). On my main machine I am used to
an upgrade time of about 30 minutes + download time.

> I will do a clean install tomorrow. All my most "can't do without"
> files (eg, Thunderbird, Mozilla, Documents..) are backed up - the
> rest in /home are all replaceable.
>
> So, if you are thinking about upgrading or doing a clean install
> consider the above.

Yep, and also if you do an upgrade, make sure that you have a look at
the progress from time to time because you may be asked if you want to
keep individual config files or if they should be replaced. I don't
think the upgrade continues while it is waiting for your answer.

> I guess the best way of doing it is to start the Update Manager and
> let it tell you what will happen and how long it will take to do an
> upgrade (and with, in my case, some 12 packages no longer supported,
> there will be debris sitting in your upgraded system).

The debris is not a real problem iMHO. After the upgrade you will be
asked if you want to keep the old packages if they are no longer
available. You might as well find out that those packages are still
available, just not in the main repository but in the universe repo.

Nils