How to report an installation issue?

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 11 10:07:56 UTC 2010

On 11/10/2010 20:08, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Em segunda-feira 11 outubro 2010, Basil Chupin escreveu:
>
>> On 11/10/2010 18:49, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.10 from a usb stick and the
>>> following message is displayed while the system is loading:
>>> "unable to find a medium containing a live file system"
>>>
>>> The boot process does not finish. I've googled this error, but have
>>> found only problems related to flat cables, faulty CD-ROM drives or
>>> faulty disks, which does not apply to my usb stick. I got this
>>> error with three different usb sticks, both with Kubuntu 10.10 32
>>> bits install and Ubuntu 10.10 32 bits install. On the other hand,
>>> I can boot Ubuntu 9.10 with no problem from the same usb sticks.
>>>
>>> So, I would like to report a bug. However, how do I do that?
>>> ubuntu-bug requires me to have the system already installed. I
>>> could report from another system, but ubuntu-bug requires me to
>>> inform the package where I found the error. I don't know which
>>> program fails during installation, nor what package it belongs to
>>> (if indeed it belongs to a package) and even if I did, it
>>> certainly will not match the package with the same name in the
>>> system I would use to report the bug (if the package exists in
>>> this other system).
>>>
>>> So, how to file the bug?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Marcelo
>>>
>> Question: how did you manage to get the Maverick installation on to
>> an USB stick to be able to install 10.10 from an USB stick?
>>
> I have downloaded the Maverick ISO files while still running Lucid and
> used Lucid's usb-creator-kde to get them on the USB stick.

Being in my dotage years (ie, being past the "*-teen years"
classification, when anyone above the *teen classification knows
nothing, which is why teenagers are employed first because they know
everything :-) ), I *THOUGHT*, thought mind you, thought that I read
that there was a difference in the way an USB installation stick is
created in Maverick and that an attempt using Lucid will not create such
an installable USB stick using Maverick as the input - that is, you need
to use Maverick, and not Lucid, to create such an USB. But I may be
wrong..... Alas, I HAVE been known, sadly :-( , to be wrong.... :-) .

BC

--
Went to a discount massage parlour the other day. Wasn't 'til I paid me money that I found out that it was self-service.