Upgrading from 10.04.1 to Maverick 10.10

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 11 08:45:27 UTC 2010

On 11/10/2010 18:25, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 15:45 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
>

>> So, if you are thinking about upgrading or doing a clean install
>> consider the above.
>>
>> I guess the best way of doing it is to start the Update Manager and let
>> it tell you what will happen and how long it will take to do an upgrade
>> (and with, in my case, some 12 packages no longer supported, there will
>> be debris sitting in your upgraded system).
>>
> Upside down person! Heh heh, I TOLD you so!<snarks>  Coulda just jammed
> a DVD home and be done with it, whilst sipping a brewski.

Well, I've had Maverick for some time now (including the 'final'
release) but wanted to have the *official* final release - which I got
late last night (my time). AND I didn't have to wait *days* to get no
<FX: puts on Mexican accent> "steenking DVD costing $$" to do it :-) .

10.10 is released; then some 11 hours later I have it up and running on
my "test bed" - which takes into account some 8+ hours of sleepy-time.
Costs me nothing except the cost of the CD to burn the CD 'cause the
downtime is paid for as part of my volume limit for 'peak time'
downloads (and I can still download 1.2GB per day before my monthly
meter clicks back to 0).

My post was all  to do with giving people something to think about when
they decide to either install the OS as a fresh install or as an
upgrade. Of course, what you have been stating about what you do by
buying a copy of the DVD is worth much consideration - it's all part of
the mix.

As I have always upgraded my system by installing Ubuntu from afresh,
but this time on my "main system" I thought I would see what would
happen if I tried to do what most people seem to do which is upgrade by
doing something like "do-release-upgrade" (as has been argued about here
for some many posts in the past week or so) or simply following what the
(new, revised) Update Manager, suggests.

Horses for courses. I know. But all I did was report on what my
experience has been since around midnight last night - ie some 18 hours
or so ago.

OK, already or do we go at it at dawn at 20 paces? :-D .

(BTW, I'm buying a copy of Red Mars tomorrow....better be good..... :-) .)

>   But, OH NO!
> Well old bud, the Internet is NOT a large truck! It's a series of tubes!
> My favorite:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtOoQFa5ug8&feature=PlayList&p=4F6E51D4C823CFD3&index=0&playnext=1

Nice.

One of the vinyls I haven't transferred to CD is "Tubular Bells". Must
do it "real soon now" :-) .

And the "Bitty Gritty Dirt Band".....

BC

--
Went to a discount massage parlour the other day. Wasn't 'til I paid me money that I found out that it was self-service.