what is the minimum size of the /boot partition in ubuntu

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Mon Oct 11 07:22:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, October 9, 2010 15:11, user1 wrote:
> For years I have used a /boot partition of 100 mb, but now I cannot
> upgrade my software packages in ubuntu lucid 10.04, as I get the message
> that my /boot partition is to small.
>
> I use to have as a minimum 2 following ubuntu versions (9.10 and 10.04
> just now) installed and running on my harddisk each of following
> partition sizes:
>
> /boot = 100 mb
> and
> / = 30 gb
>
> So Now I will have to resize both partitions, in order not to have to
> resize all the other partitions which I use.

100 MiB is probably more than enough for the next few decades, but you
probably have some old, unused kernels that still occupy /boot.
As a rule of thumb I only keep the current kernel and the previous kernel.
You can clean up old kernels by running synaptic and looking for
"linux-image". If you don't know what your current kernel version is: open
a terminal window and type 'uname -a'.

> So, what will the correct minimum size of the /boot partition for the
> future be?  :-)

The correct minimum size is the sum of all the sizes of all the kernels
that you want to keep on /boot. In theory.

--
Amedee