Ubuntu Netbook 10.10

P Burrows pburrows at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 22:18:58 UTC 2010

I just upgraded my tablet from 10.04 to 10.10, netbook edition. The 10.04
user interface was great, by default the desktop was pretty much your menu
of applications. Was great (I don't use the desktop for anything else.)

The 10.10 version seems to go back to a big blank desktop. And they hid the
ability to see all your installed apps inside something called "The Dash."

Does anyone know a way to make the The Dash come up by default, instead of
just showing a blank desktop?

Also, on the left hand side of the screen is an Apple style toolbar, but I
don't see a way to add and remove things from it. For instance, I would like
to take Firefox off that menu (I don't want to uninstall FF, I just don't
want it on the Apple-esque toolbar.)

The multitouch abilities of 10.10 rock. I can scroll that left hand side
apple toolbar by using flicking gestures and taps and stuff. It works good
(I wish "The Dash" had that same flick gesture scrolling.). But the UI
changes make the OS a bit harder to use.

Is there a config file somewhere which controls these settings? The things
on the apple-like menu, and the ability for Mrs. Dash to come up instead of
showing a blank desktop.

Thanks!

--
happier now that I've seen you,