Removed a file by accident

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 21:56:31 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-10-10 at 16:57 -0300, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:

I FOUND IT!!!
-----------------------------------
http://serverfault.com/questions/32219/mysql-install-on-ubuntu
is the link.

<quote>

dpkg --force-confmiss -i /tmp/foo_2.0.0-14_all.deb
THAT DID IT!! YES!!! THANX!!!! WOO!HOO!

in my case is was: sudo dpkg --force-confmiss -i
mysql-common_5.1.41-3ubuntu12.6_all.deb

and THAT replaced the /etc/mysql/my.cnf file that was missing. Yes, I
dinked with it and lost it. My bad, but this fixed it!! Ric

I had accidently erased the file my.cnf and no combination of either
apt-get or dpkg would replace it, no matter how many times I tried to
"re-install" to regain the file.

This command tells dpkg to ignore that the file is missing and install
it. But, you have to know the package name that contains the missing
file. I just searched through the "usual suspects" with synaptic until I
found it. Brute force, not very elegant, but I found it. Ric

And, since I found Jennifer Tilly, it wasn't a lost cause.

Linux user# 44256