Removed a file by accident

Knight knightotp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 09:16:26 UTC 2010

> Also how can I find out what package that file belonged to?
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Steve

Hi Steve,

In order to find out to which package a file belongs you can (out of the
box) use:

dpkg -S /sbin/restart

--- output ---
upstart: /sbin/restart

--- end output ---

The other way around - eg. find all files belonging to a package:

dpkg -L upstart

--- output ---
/.
/usr
/usr/share
<snipped a lot>
/sbin/status
/sbin/halt
/sbin/poweroff

--- end output ---

There are other programs available which promise more features including
more speed and file size or are able to show md5sums. A quick search for
them brought me to: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/findfile.htm
Note: I didn't check the Ubuntu repos for the availability of those
programs.

Cheers,
--
Knight Of The Post