Upgraded packages that require a restart

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 19:38:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 13:25 -0500, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
> R Kimber wrote:
> > Is there a definitive list somewhere that shows which packages, when
> > upgraded, require you to restart the computer?  Long ago, it used to be just
> > the kernel, but now it seems to embrace various packages.  It would help if
> > the upgrade manager announced clearly, before you upgrade, that a restart is
> > required if you go ahead, but it doesn't.
> >
> > If there isn't a webpage somewhere, maybe it would be useful if this list
> > compiled one (?).  I'm guessing, but a start might be:
> >
> > kernel
> > dbus
> > libc6
> > openssl
> >
> > - Richard.
>
> We're breaking one of the cardinal design rules of Unix with reboots:
>     "Anything but the kernel can be updated in a running system."
> The last few times I've had to reboot, the kernel was not updated.

I ~dimly~ recall, way back in the day, just using init 1 to go to
runlevel 1 and, with some command-line incantation, soft boot the new
kernel, while not reseting uptime to zero. It used to be a big deal,
never reboot! People would have their computer running steadily for
months, if not a year. What happened? Did we ~evolve~ to Win95?
<chuckles> Ric

Linux user# 44256