"Safely remove" kills SD drive (Maverick, Gnome)

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Fri Oct 8 17:35:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 19:10 +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Friday 08 October 2010, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> > Did I not already send the bug's related to this...
>
> I don't know. I googled for such a bug, but I found only bugs related to SD
> readers not being seen or automounted. But then I am not used to bug reports
> and I may not know where/how to search.
>
> I found a thread about a similar problem is Fedora 13 that suggests the
> problem could come from the reader being "listed by lsusb (although it gets
> moved to a different Bus/Device each time)"
>
> http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1405153
>
> I've searched bugzilla.gnome.org but did not find this problem
>
> Thierry
>
> --
> "We live at a time when emotions and feelings count more than truth, an there
> is a vast ignorance of science" James Lovelock

Sorry, it was another thread, one that was on about safely remove too
but a different problem.  You should be checking for bugs under the hal
daemon.

To give a little bit of insight, safely remove implies you are to unplug
the drive.  For example if you plug in an Android Phone you would click
safely remove and then unplug it, if you plug in a portable HD, you
would click safely remove, it will unmount and turn it 'off' so you can
safely remove it (some security enabled devices won't actually turn off
they'll just disable pieces.) You should be using unmount with SD cards,
unless you plan to unplug the device attached (if attached by USB ~
otherwise you run into a /slight/ problem.)

Anyways, I read over your original post on NGINX and this is the first
thing I noticed, you posted your /etc/fstab line which was:
/dev/sdb1 /media/sd auto  noauto,users,exec,rw 0 0

It should be:
/dev/sdb1 /media/sd noauto,users,exec,rw 0 0

I think nobody pointed it out.  I just skimmed over the  thread on nginx
forums to see your original post really, and didn't bother to really
read the rest.

A /slight/ suggestion, you should mount it with noexec too for security,
if it is of course going to be used for file storage only, and you
should go ahead and mount it with noatime if it pleases you.