"Safely remove" kills SD drive (Maverick, Gnome)

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Oct 8 16:37:24 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 05:42:17PM +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> > Safely Remove approximately means "turn off power to the USB device".
> > This is the right thing to do for USB drives (it turns off their LED,
> > telling the user it's now safe to remove), but not a good thing for an
> > integrated SD card reader.  Please file a bug about this.
>
> An Ubuntu bug, or a Gnome bug?

Both, and then link the upstream Gnome bug to the Ubuntu bug.

I'm assuming that what happens is that when you use Safely Remove, you
can no longer use your SD card reader until you reboot.  Is that right?
Does the SD drive icon disappear from the device list Nautilus shows
when you go to computer:///?

Regards,
Marius Gedminas
--
Those who don't understand Linux are doomed to reinvent it, poorly.