DVD downloads?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Oct 8 10:38:05 UTC 2010

On 8 October 2010 11:29, Dave Howorth <dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> I've seen that the normal DVD downloads just contain extra language
> packs. That isn't what I want; it's more of the general applications if
> possible. Or is there a way to tell synaptic or some other tool to make
> a DVD with my choice of packages?

As an alternative option you could grab the CD ISO and then mirror the
entire repo onto a usb hard disk at work. 17GB or thereabouts will get
you the binary only (ie no source packages) deb files for one
architecture.

apt-mirror or debmirror can do this. They both have the ability to be
left running, and if they die or get killed can be restarted from
where they left off.

Once done you can point your home install at the hard disk you plugged
in at home. Then you can install anything you want from the repo. You
could then keep it updated by taking it to work and re-running
apt-mirror/debmirror to get updates.

Cheers,
Al.