A+ material

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at frontier.com
Thu Oct 7 17:06:30 UTC 2010

On Thursday 07 October 2010 08:34:42 J wrote:
> > However, completing the A+ may give the confidence to continue to pursue
> > additional education and certifications, which may indeed lead to
> > significant opportunities for employment and accomplishment.
>
> It could... and I get that... I collect certificates...

Cool. Recently, I've been collecting degrees (B.A. Philosophy, B.S. Economics,
and B.S. (Business) Information Systems, but starting a certificate collection
sounds like a good idea, too. Comptia, various Linux, Cisco, and others are
interesting technologically. Mathematically, actuarial exams look good, too,
but first finishing a B.S. in Maths & Stats with some C.S. might be a good idea.

> >> All the labs and tech companies I've ever worked for just looked at
> >> the A+ on my resume and either asked what that was, or said they
> >> really didn't care.
> >
> > What those people think doesn't matter. What the OP thinks does.
>
> Actually, what those peope thing does matter to a degree at least.  It
> all depends on the OP's goals.

I am sure you're correct about this. Just as the OP's ability to meet goals is
a function of ability and effort within the environment provided by other
people, so is Ubuntu's success a function of its qualities and environment.

> If he wants this just to learn, then cool.  Go for it.

Definitely. Whether he is using Comptia materials or Michael Meyers' thick
training books with their associated media, I suspect they will run with
Ubuntu applications directly, or via wine, without problems.

> If he wants it for future employment, then there are better courses and
> better certifications.  Unfortunately, it DOES matter.

Again, you're correct, but the OP needs to start somewhere. A+ is OK for that.

Ken