A+ material

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 15:34:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:11, Kenneth Marcy <kmmos1 at frontier.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010 06:42:25 J wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 03:39, Thufir Hawat <hawat.thufir at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > It seems like the books with an accompanying disc or discount on the exam
>> > itself are, unsurprisingly, Windows centric.
>> >
>> > I was looking at sites like:
>> >
>> > http://www.atiatraining.com/
>> >
>> > Probably I could run their videos under wine, or, maybe not.  While I'm
>> > aware of free sites, I was just wondering if anyone had specific insight
>> > into preparing for the exam.
>>
>> A: what does this have to do with Ubuntu?
>
> Learning about the environment in which Ubuntu operates, both hardware and
> software, is useful Ubuntu-related knowledge. Just as a college freshman new
> to a dormitory must learn about and get along with a roommate, Ubuntu, and its
> users, are well-advised to learn about other software with which they share
> hardware living space and operating quarters.

Sure, but there is nothing Ubuntu related on the A+ exam, and really
nothing even Linux related on the A+ exam or courses.  And in any
case, this discussion is better suited for Sounder, not the tech
support list.

>> B: I have an A+ cert...  the exam was at the time 1/2 hardware 1/2
>> windows applications.
>
> That certification has been that way throughout its existence. The same
> organization offers a Linux+ certification for the other side of the dorm room.

Yeah, that's right.  The difference was the question pools... there
used to be a fixed number of questions for each part, but now it's
adaptive... the more you get right, the less you have to answer.

>> C: the A+ cert if a worthless paper cert that really won't get you
>> anything beyond a job at Best Buy (and even that's not guaranteed).
>
> The worth of an A+ certification depends on one's perspective. Just as
> completing one college course does not result in a degree, just completing the
> A+ exams does not constitute an adequate professional computing education.
>
> However, completing the A+ may give the confidence to continue to pursue
> additional education and certifications, which may indeed lead to significant
> opportunities for employment and accomplishment.

It could... and I get that... I collect certificates...

>> All the labs and tech companies I've ever worked for just looked at
>> the A+ on my resume and either asked what that was, or said they
>> really didn't care.
>
> What those people think doesn't matter. What the OP thinks does.

Actually, what those peope thing does matter to a degree at least.  It
all depends on the OP's goals.  If he wants this just to learn, then
cool.  Go for it.  If he wants it for future employment, then there
are better courses and better certifications.  Unfortunately, it DOES
matter.  There are two different types of people who review resumes...
there are the ones who have little to moderate technical
ability/knowledge who look for paper certs and expect a certain amount
of letters behind one's name and certain certs on one's resume.  Then
there are the ones who actually do have technical ability/knowledge
who ask pertinent questions and could care less about certifications
but are more interested in a candidates knowledge.

So for the record, let me state that this is all my opinion, based on
the fact that A: I have an A+ cert that I got for the fun of it
(needed the elective credits in college) B: I've taught the A+
courses, C: I also interview and help make hiring decisions, D: can
safely say that the ONLY certification I have that EVER counted
towards getting me a job was the RHCE.

Anyway, as I said, it all really depends on the OPs goals here.  For
knowledge, yeah, it's ok.  For Linux knowledge? Not at all, it doesn't
have any to my knowledge, beyond MAYBE just touching on the subject
(e.g. "Linux is another operating system.  Now, to use Microsoft
Office you need to ...")  It's also my understanding (it's been a
couple years since I taught it) that even the hardware knowledge is
more generic than it used to be.  You used to have to do things like
binary conversions, figuring out how much memory a DIMM had based on
the chips, explain the data pathways on a motherboard, etc...  Not
sure how much of that level of actual hardware detail is still there.