can't upload after upgrade to Lucid

william drescher william at TechServSys.com
Thu Oct 7 14:16:17 UTC 2010

On 10/7/2010 7:58 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 7 October 2010 12:10, william drescher<william at techservsys.com>  wrote:
>> I just did an upgrade from Jaunty to Lucid, which went without
>> apparent error.
>
> On the local or remote machine? I assume remote given you're ftping to it?

The machine in on my lan, but I usually access it with PuTTY

>> All seems to be well, but...
>>
>> When I try to upload a file using HTML-KIT or FileZilla, I get
>> the error: Permission denied.
>>

> Disk full?
no

>> In desperation I changed /var, ... to 777 file permissions and I
>> still get the error.
>
> Erk, that was possibly unwise :S

certainly unwise - I did mention I was desperate.  This is on a
home intranet without inbound access so I feel I am ok for awhile.

>> I am going mildly nuts and sure could use some suggestions as to
>> what to try next to figure this out.
>>

> What ftp daemon is in use at the other end?
I presume, ftpd because I have made no changes to the default
install.

>Does it have a log which
> indicates why you aren't allowed?
probably, but I don't know where to look, I am a ubuntu newbie
  Is it possible a configuration
> option has been set on during the upgrade which makes the ftp root
> read-only?
also possible, where do I look ?

when I do man ftpd I get: No manual entry for ftpd.
This is lucid, server.

bill