login problem with Ubuntu 10.4

macbeth macbeth at panix.com
Wed Oct 6 19:07:26 UTC 2010

> From: NoOp

> On 10/06/2010 10:40 AM, macbeth wrote:
> >

> >> From: NoOp
> >
> >> My _guess_ is that it's a video/graphics issue. Can you please provide
> >> the machine details? You can do this from 8.04 or from a liveCD:
> >>
> >> $ sudo lshw > myhardware.txt
> >> $ gedit myhardware.txt
> >
> > NoOp,
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time.
> >
> > http://paste.ubuntu.com/507411/
>
> *-display UNCLAIMED
>                 product: KM400/KN400/P4M800 [S3 UniChrome]
>                 vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
>

> Possible:
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-open
> chrome/+bug/589520>
> [[KM400]Haven't been able to execute normal gnome login since 10.04
> installation; screen blanks then returns to login screen]
>
> <quote>
> After a fresh 10.04 installation which seemed to go perfectly, I now
> can't execute a normal gnome login, but can using safe mode gnome and
> xterm. When attempting a normal login there is a short wait after the
> login screen disappears, then the screen goes blank for a few seconds
> before returning to the login screen.
> </quote>
>
> Perhaps try the workaround in comment #3:
> <quote>
> There was no existing xorg.conf file in /etc/X11, so I
> created one with the following content;
>
> Section
> "ServerFlags"
>     Option "AIGLX"
> "off"
> EndSection
>
> </quote>
>
> You can do that from the recovery mode; boot to recovery, continue to
> login, and from the console:
>
> $ sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> and then add the above, ctrl-x to exit & save.

NoOp,

SPOT FREAKIN' ON!

Many, many, many thanks!

Now, I need to play with that launchpad a bit.  It seems all so obvious and
straight forward.  Especially when someone does everything but comes over
and types it in for you.

BTW, this is still broken in the 10.10 Beta.  This solution fixes that and
heopfully they add it in before they go 'live'.

Again, thanks,
Michael