SSDs rule (was: Re: No easy mounting of nfs shares (Maverick, solved))

Angus MacGyver macgyver at calibre-solutions.co.uk
Wed Oct 6 18:37:00 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 21:17 +0300, Marius Gedminas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 10:45:08AM -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 17:39 +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> > > And my Laptop boots in just 19 seconds and takes 6 seconds to
> > > shutdown. That incredibly fast afterweeks of trying to get KDE 4 to
> > > work (took good 45 seconds to start, at least).
> >
> > You mind telling me which SSD you got? I bought an Intel SSD but I've
> > been neglecting to install it
>
> *speechless*

Quite..
Good job I am sitting down..
Stunned...

> I bought an Intel SSD (X-25M) early this year.  Best upgrade ever.

Seconded.

> Laptop boots in 8 seconds, according to bootchart.  A more realistic
> measurement is 30 seconds from power button to usable desktop, and this
> counts the time it takes me to peck my password into GDM.  Bloatware
> such as Firefox or OpenOffice.org opens in ~3 seconds with cold disk
> caches (which is still too slow, so I use Chromium).  I can recursively
> grep several hundred megabytes of source code in ~10 seconds.  Even
> apt-get install is fast.

> > and bench it so I was just wondering which
> > SSD you bought and if you would be willing to run a bench and post the
> > results.
>
> I don't care about benchmarks myself; I care about user's (i.e. my)
> perceptions.  And I feel that I never wait on the hard disk anymore.
>
> (Perhaps this feeling is a bit exaggerated, since the Intel SSD was
> bloody expensive.  But if you've already got one, by all means use it!)

Same again on benchmarks.

I got a Crucial 256GB.
Again - bloody expensive, but by God it's quick.

I just wish that they are ...
1) lower in price
2) have somewhat bigger capacity

because I'd stick one in my "power laptop" - but I need space, and lots
of it on that one.
(though now I have a couple of TB's of USB storage, it *might* be worth
it)

> > My favorite happens to be moving
> > the Close, Maximise and Minimise to the left, I'm not a Mac user >.>

I am - and I'm still unconvinced.
One of those "personal preference things" I guess.
What would be nice - is an easier (apparently can be done) way of
turning that off/on.

--
AM