login problem with Ubuntu 10.4

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 6 18:02:13 UTC 2010

On 10/06/2010 10:40 AM, macbeth wrote:

>> From: NoOp
>
>> My _guess_ is that it's a video/graphics issue. Can you please provide
>> the machine details? You can do this from 8.04 or from a liveCD:
>>
>> $ sudo lshw > myhardware.txt
>> $ gedit myhardware.txt
>
> NoOp,
>
> Thanks for taking the time.
>
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/507411/

*-display UNCLAIMED
                product: KM400/KN400/P4M800 [S3 UniChrome]
                vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.

That helps. Here we go...
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=KM400%2FKN400%2FP4M800+[S3+UniChrome]>

Possible:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome/+bug/589520>
[[KM400]Haven't been able to execute normal gnome login since 10.04
installation; screen blanks then returns to login screen]

<quote>
After a fresh 10.04 installation which seemed to go perfectly, I now
can't execute a normal gnome login, but can using safe mode gnome and
xterm. When attempting a normal login there is a short wait after the
login screen disappears, then the screen goes blank for a few seconds
before returning to the login screen.
</quote>

Perhaps try the workaround in comment #3:
<quote>
There was no existing xorg.conf file in /etc/X11, so I
created one with the following content;

Section
"ServerFlags"
    Option "AIGLX"
"off"
EndSection

</quote>

You can do that from the recovery mode; boot to recovery, continue to
login, and from the console:

$ sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and then add the above, ctrl-x to exit & save.

If that's not it, have a look through some of the other bugs for that
driver:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-openchrome>
and see if you can spot one that better matches your situation.