problem in installing flash on lucid 10.04 64 bit "Package adobe flash is virtual"

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 09:32:57 UTC 2010

As I open youtube and try to watch any video
I get a message

You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video.
Download it from Adobe.

Clicking upon that link takes me to
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
there I select

APT For Ubuntu 9.04+

Clicking on download link gives me pop up which says

This link needs to be opened with an application
Send to:
 apturl
Choose an application
here I select apturl and press ok

Now I get another Popup  saying

10.04 Partner Channel
The Ubuntu 10.04 partner channel contains applications that are
available for Ubuntu from third-party software partners for the 10.04
release.

I select Yes

Now some downloads start happening and
then when every thing finishes I get a message

"Package adobe flash is virtual"

I could not understand any thing from above message what does the
above error tries to tell me?

Now I close the browser and restart it.

After this when I visit same Youtube page I get a pop up saying
additional plugins are required to view this page

I click on install missing plugins page
I get a pop which says it is searching for missing plugins.

Now after some time I get another popup which says
Plugin Finder Service
Choose a plugin for media type applications/x-shockwave-flash:

I get three options to choose
Adobe Flash Player (installer)
Swfdec SWF player
Gnash SWF Player

I select Adobe Flash Player (installer)
and click Next

Now I get a message that it is installing some thing after a while I
get a message

Can not install 'flashplugin-installer' (E:Unable to correct problems,
you have held broken packages.)

Now what is this which above came?