[Maverick] Install - was: Re: difference between "do-release-upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade"

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 6 03:07:46 UTC 2010

On 10/05/2010 07:47 PM, Sandy Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Christopher Chan
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
>
>> Alan is talking about circular dependencies and other such like rubbish.
>> There have been those who hosed their installation because they used
>> apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade. And there have been those who have not
>> been toasted by upgrading with apt-get dist-upgrade. It all pretty much
>> depends on what you have or have not installed.
>
> I've just used Synaptic for all upgrades from 7.something to 10.04.
> No visible problems so far. Box is a pretty standard machine with
> on-board Intel graphics chip and ethernet.
>
> Should I be doing something else? Should I take some steps to
> clean up any possible oddities before the next upgrade?

I'd recommend you start a new thread asking these questions and preface
the subject line with [Maverick]. You are hijacking a thread with an
unrelated question.

Howver (aside from the usual backup this/that warnings):

1. Ensure that you have ubuntu-desktop installed. Several of us may have
UD uninstalled for various reasons - reinstall it before upgrading:
$ sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
For some reason the rev upgrades do not do well without it installed.
2. Of course ensure that you've:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
and it certainly can't hurt to:
$ sudo apt-get install -f
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
3. *Be sure* to *read* the release notes et al:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MaverickUpgrades
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/TechnicalOverview
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes

And *please* start a new thread.