Network Manager at system level

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Tue Oct 5 19:52:36 UTC 2010

Is there a way to configure Network Manager so it connects to a chosen
network at the system level rather than at the User level?  (ie, I want
the computer to connect to the network even though there are no one
logged into the local console.)

Of course, I can, (and have) purged network manager, and can configure
networking in /etc/interfaces myself, but seeing as ubuntu has decided
to strip the ability to configure networking with the
gnome-network-admin package (I thought was the whole point of that
package existing in the first place) someone must think there's a way
that Network Manager is a suitable replacement.....