Wifi discovery tool for Ubuntu 10

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Oct 5 15:30:37 UTC 2010

On 5 October 2010 16:26, Oliver Marshall <Oliver.Marshall at g2support.com> wrote:
> Hi chaps,

Hullo!

> Can anyone recommend a fairly easy to use wifi discovery tool for ubuntu 10?
> needs to be able to support a range of nics and just really show what wifi
> networks are running on what channel, rough signal strength etc at least.

Kismet!

http://www.kismetwireless.net/

It's in the repo and you need to tweak a little config file in
/etc/kismet/kismet.conf to make it work by specifying the source, but
once done, it works very nicely. I've run it in the past on a laptop
in the car as I drove to work. Spotted insane numbers of access
points.

Cheers,
Al.