Advise on motherboard purchase

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Tue Oct 5 05:11:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 12:32 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> > The HDs can operate at up to 70C temperatures but they never get
> > anywhere close to this as there is enough air circulating inside the
> > case - at least in my computer(s). As well, the newer HDs run VERY cool:
> > I have WD 500GB and Seagates and they are barely warm after working all
> > day. But, of course, they do feel a bit warmer when the ambient
> > temperature goes up.
>
> 70 Centigrade? What have you been taking Basil? I know of disks that
> DIED at 55/60 (big argument about why the file servers were unstable - I
> won after I proved it was heat issues heh) so there is no way you can
> run at 70C which is over 10% OUT of the manufacturers' stated operating
> environment.

It depends, there are two max temps for an HD, much like there are for a
processor, you have internal and airflow (external), they usually don't
differ by much (and shouldn't) if they differ more than 5 degrees you
have an airflow problem in your case.

Anyways, modern HD's with S.M.A.R.T (all HD's lately, especially large
external HD's that are not SSD) default to warning at 60c and shutting
down at 65c.  They also have what's called the MaxTemp change per hour,
which a lot of people don't know about,  this is usually 15-20c before
the HD trips.  MaxTemp change per hour does not include powering down
for the night, but that does have an effect on the drive in the end
result.  Spinning down a drive a lot can cause this too and damage a
drive, which was the topic of major debate on Ubuntu regarding laptops
if I remember right.

I would never let a drive go above 50c safely, this isn't because I'm
worried, it's because I don't want micro-damage, which is especially
something we worry about on file servers, especially large clusters.  We
see enough micro-damage, without accelerating.

Anyways, if we want to be purely technical, depending on the drive you
haven't damaged your platter by hitting the MaxTemp stated, you've
damaged other pieces.  The platters usually take a lot more heat, so you
could still do a recovery if you have the tools, but that's a whole
different animal. I think I've covered curie points for platters before
on this list when somebody brought up HD destruction and recovery.