difference between "do-release-upgrade" and "apt-get dist-upgrade"

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Mon Oct 4 16:50:30 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 11:11 -0500, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> I have no info to which to link, but I think Alan hit it on the head
> when he said that the official method disables 3rd party repositories.
> That is likely the single and only thing separating the methods.

It also backtracks and fixes things like x, applies themes and a few
other things.  You can actually view the source for it, because it's on
your computer, it's a set of python scripts.  Start with:

vim /usr/bin/do-release-upgrade
Then view all the scripts in: /usr/share/pyshared/DistUpgrade

By application though, it does every step that we would do on Debian, it
just does what we would do manually automatically making it easier for
people and makes the amount of false bugs go down.

Oh, most notably, on a non-GUI install (for example clouds and servers)
it will open up extra SSH ports so if something goes wrong, you have
access to SSH to fix it all.  This is a critical mistake a lot sysadmins
make when upgrading, they forget to open up extra SSH ports and start a
second SSH manually.