Advise on motherboard purchase

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 4 13:45:54 UTC 2010

On 05/10/2010 00:31, Basil Chupin wrote:

> I have one case (the one I am using right now :-( ) where it is not
> possible to install a DVD writer bacause the mobo is too close to the
> back of the case and the DVD writer will simply not fit.

Oh dear....Correction!

"the mobo is too close to the *FRONT* of the case......"

> The simple answer is: use, and install the HDs, in cradles. There hasn't
> been the need to "hardwire" HDs into a case now for years - just use
> cradles for the HDs. All my HDs are so 'installed' - when I want to try
> out Ubuntu Maverick, say, I simply power down, pull out the current HDs
> with 10.04.1 and insert the other set of HDs. Been doing this sort of
> process for years.

An additional comment to this.

One can get cradles whereby you can switch off the HD at the cradle,
remove the HD, insert an HD in a cradle with the same switching on/off
facility and...carry on.

I have never had one but a friend of mine did.

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
           Christina Aquilera