Different bevahiour by USB falsh drives formatted in ext3/4 and Windows' formats

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Oct 4 11:01:10 UTC 2010

I noticed this for a while but after doing this today to confirm my
observations, I thought I would mention this because there was some
discussion recently about how to properly remove an USB flash disc from
Ubuntu (at least 10.04 which I am now using). The same applies, BTW, to
an external USB HD.

When the device is plugged in, or switched on in the case of the HD, the
appropriate icon appears on the workspace (desktop) and nautilus runs
and shows the contents of the device. All normal. In nautilus the device
shows up in the left-hand-most panel with a pyramid-looking "up pointer"
at the end of the device name.

However, as you know, when it comes to 'disconnecting' such a device,
one has to "Safely remove" the device and not simply "Eject" it or just
pull it out of the connection on the computer (or switch off the
external USB HD).

If the device is formatted in ext3/4 then you can right-click on the
*icon on the workspace* and select "Safely remove" - and watch the light
on the flash disc or the HD if you want to ensure that any unwritten
data has been written to the device and the device can then be "removed"
from the system.

However, if the device has been formatted in FAT/ntfs then using the
above method results in an error message stating that the device cannot
be accessed (or some such - I'm working from memory). What you need to
do is to either go to Places>(device) which will start nautilus or to
nautilus itself and use the "up pointer" at the end of the device name
to Safely Remove the device.

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
           Christina Aquilera