100% memory consumption in firefox

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Mon Oct 4 08:44:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 12:37 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:

> Ya even I thought and I disabled the addons.

Run a trace on it and see what the trace says, it might give you some
insight, even if you don't understand it all, some of it even a new
Linux user should be able to point out.

Do you have Flash and Java? If you have Flash, try getting rid of
Ubuntu's flash and installing the Flash 64bit directly from Adobe. If
you have Java, make sure check for updates, there was a known memory
leak in Firefox 3.6 on any system with Java, I can't remember the
version that fixed it, but if you get the latest it should fix the
problem, if you have Java of course, and it's not already updated.

Other than that, do the above and close it and see if it persists,
Firefox is well known for it's memory leaks and a lot of them won't get
addressed till Firefox 4 sadly, if even then since there are still some
open tickets (if I remember right.)