No easy mounting of nfs shares (Maverick)

Jordon Bedwell jordon at envygeeks.com
Mon Oct 4 00:18:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 00:28 +0200, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> I've set up 10.10 (RC as far as I know), I tried autofs to mount network
> shares but it does not seem to work (the mount points specified in
> auto.master are not created, ans reloading or restarting autofs does not
> help.

And what do the logs say?

> Now my actual question is: why does "Places/Network access to Windows shares
> (Windows Network), of which I have none, but can't access nfs shares? In the
> same way, "Connect to server" offers anything but acces to nfs servers
> (unless it is though "Custom Location" and I could not find the right syntax
> (I get "You must enter a name for the server" whatever I try).

Because it's not hard to mount NFS manually with NFS-Common, example:
sudo mount 10.0.0.10:/usr /usr

There was talk (though it's still confirmed as unfixed) that user
mountable FSTAB entries for NFS mounts should show up in the places
menu.  As of a month ago somebody reported this as still broken even
though upstream developers reported it fixed.

If you're having so much trouble with AutoFS just create a static mount
and then edit ~/gtk-bookmarks and add the mount point, an example of
doing this would be:

FSTAB: 10.0.0.5:/srv/nfs/shared /mnt/shared nfs rw,hard,user,intr 0 0
Bookmark: file:///mnt/shared

> I have no problem connecting to the servers from MacOS X, and I had no problem
> doing it from Desktop links in KDE 3. KDE 4 let's me create the link but, as
> usual, it does not work ("only root can do that").

Don't know if you noticed, but this isn't Mac OS X, this also isn't KDE.

> nfs being the logical *nix choice for a network, it's surprising that Linux
> distribution make it so difficult for the users to use it...

Was this serious or a troll? You pick up an RC build that is still going
through it's final major bug fixes and then complain about trivial
problems? Why are you going to *test* software if you're going to
complain it's broken?  The best thing for you to do is gather a trace,
view the logs and then decide if you need to submit a bug.