TalkTalk + Huawei HG521 + Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386 + misery, ANY IDEAS?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Sat Oct 2 08:44:39 UTC 2010

On Saturday 02 October 2010 00:35:49 r wrote:
> modem is showing up, but I CANNOT use the internet.
>

> thus it seems the USB wireless dongle is functioning, but there is
> a problem connecting to the Huawei HG521 wireless modem.
>
> according to the iwconfig output given below it seems the
> wireless dongle is communicating with the Huawei, but
>
> when I give the network name + password + select WPA+WPA2 Personal
> I cannot use the internet from Firefox.
>
> Any ideas why?
>
> any ideas what I should do?

I'm going to dive in here to offer a suggestion to try.

For starters do you get an IP address from the router? If yes try putting that
address into firefox, replacing the last number with a 1 i.e. put something
like this:-
http://192.168.1.1
into the firefox address bar, which if it works like mine should give you a
web page generated by your router.

You can also try
http://173.194.36.104
which should give you google.com

and
http://216.34.181.45
which should give you slashdot.net.

I'm seeing if attempting to bypass DNS gives you a web site.