Advise on motherboard purchase

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Oct 1 22:48:52 UTC 2010

On 10/1/2010 4:59 PM, r wrote:
> On 01-Oct-10 16:51:06 Franz Waldmüller wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> I am about to assemble a new PC as my really old ones are dying. I don't
>> like to buy a new machine every two years that is why I am looking for
>> some "future proof" components.
>
> I built a PC about a year ago, and one problem I found out after
>
> assembling was that the motherboard had a huge amount of USB on
>
> the motherboard, but the tower only had a few sockets.
>
> Most of the USB couldnt be utilized, these are the sockets which
>
> connect to the ones at the front of the tower.
>
> Unless someone knows how to utilize these.

/snip/
A number of companies make cables to go from the mobo to the front
panel of the computer.  Unfortunately, most of them will require
you to make your own adaptation to mount the front panel sockets.
I made one for dual usb connectors on a blank panel for a 3½" drive
bay. I fastened the connectors with hot glue.  Somebody must make
this ready-to-go, but I don't know who.  I got my extensions from

http://www.frontx.com/panel_mount.html

BTW:  It's not so easy to make neat rectangular holes in a plastic
panel.  If I were doing it again, I think I'd find a thin piece of
sheet metal to mount the connectors, then make a big ugly rectangular
hole in the plastic false front, and rivet or bolt the neat sheet metal
piece to the cut-out plastic.  Quicker and less hassle.  Of course, if
your front panel has some unoccupied flat metal space, you could mount
the connectors there.

To make neat rectangular holes in sheet metal, use an Adel™ nibbling
tool.  Drill a starting hole in the middle of the workspace to fit
the nibbler in, and then make the nice rectangular hole.

--doug