[Resolved] Can't login into Gnome after updates yersterday (10.04

Li Li lili_lilly at charter.net
Fri Oct 1 21:07:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 18:18 +0100, seanh wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 01, 2010 at 05:17:19PM +0100, seanh wrote:
> > Ok, progress, I tried logging in as a different user and everything
> > was fine for that user. So the problem is with configuration files in
> > my homedir that are missing or corrupted, not with the packages
> > themselves. Now I need to find out which files are the problem. If I
> > can find them, I can probably just delete them and restart and fresh
> > files with default values will be created. But I don't know which
> > files I'm looking for...
>
> I deleted a bunch of hidden directories in my home directory: .gnome2,
> .gconf, .gconfd, .dbus, .cache and then rebooted and everything seems
> fine now. Looks like some file got corrupted in one of those dirs. I
> have a second hard drive that is larger, I may do a fresh install onto
> that soon.

If it happens again, I'd suggest moving anything you suspect of causing
the difficulty into a temporary directory (where GNOME can't find them)
and then restoring them one-by-one until it fails.  That way you don't
lose *all* of your configs and you zero in on what caused the problem.

I almost always make another John Doe user when I install so as to have
somewhere to work from when I corrupt things, which I will.

--
Lilly
godbless --everyone --no-exceptions