TalkTalk + Huawei HG521 + Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386 + misery, ANY IDEAS?

r technical500 at talktalk.net
Fri Oct 1 16:40:19 UTC 2010

On 01-Oct-10 17:01:04 Alan Pope wrote:
>On 1 October 2010 16:48, r <technical500 at talktalk.net> wrote:
>> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0df6:003f Sitecom Europe B.V.
>>

>Ok, so you're not alone in this. If you google for the 0df6:003f
>sequence of digits and the word Ubuntu you'll find others who have the
>same issue. The following blog post I stumbled upon seems to detail
>some quite technical details for fixing it. Shouldn't need to move the
>machine for this.

>http://johnsunixtips.blogspot.com/2010/08/sitecom-wireless-wl-608-54g-usb-dongle.html

I'll have a study of that and report back.

one thing to note is that you cannot install the modem on Windows using
Windows built in

options eg their "Control Panel" programs, it can only be installed with the
TalkTalk CD

which suggests there is something nonstandard about the modem.

>> and with the Ethernet cable everything functioned immediately without
>problem.
>>

>Its possible you might get it working without the detail in that blog
>post, but I am not 100% convinced of that.

>> unfortunately I then reinstalled Windows and Ubuntu wasnt on the boot
>screen.
>>

>For future reference if you install Windows after Ubuntu and it scrubs
>the boot screen, this page fixes that:-

>https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

I've noted the URL in my Linux notes,

the problem can happen both ways, also sometimes Windows and Linux will

create all the boot options.

I need both Windows and Linux, many people will only use one OS,

but I find that if you do that you deny yourself various opportunities

for example I make sector backups of volumes using Linux "dd"

to other volumes which has to be the best way of backing up a drive

eg to make a verbatim image of the Windows C volume, far better than

Windows System Restore.

and I use Linux gdb to locate bugs when I write portable software.

but there are some products where the software is Windows only.

also I try to install both 32 and 64 bit Ubuntu, to test whether

my own programs are both 32 and 64 bit compatible. ie I try to

have a triple boot machine: Ubuntu32 Ubuntu64 and XP

but I never use Apple!