WTF (meaning Weird, True and Freaky - OK?) about KDE3

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Oct 1 15:38:12 UTC 2010

I have been using K3b for years to burn CDs/DVDs.

I have always used it to burn an ISO to a CD/DVD.

Today, I upgraded my wife's computer, running Ubuntu 10.04.1, and which
has a CD/DVD writer, and then tried to burn the Ubuntu 10.10 RC iso to a CD.

K3b refused to do it, coming up with an error of not being able to do
anything because somebody/someone didn't have the permission to write to
the CD/DVD, or some such nonsense.

Yet, only 3 days ago I used her computer with K3b to burn a copy of the
Ubuntu 10.04.1 Alertnate i386 iso.

I tried 2 times, and wasted, as far as I am concerned, 2 CDs (because it
appeared that some writing to disc did take place).

The CDs: no big deal. The principle of it all: very much a big deal!

So I then tried using Brasero - for the first time ever.

It burnt the CD without a hiccup.

Question: who has stuffed-up K3b in the past 24 or so hours so that it
no longer works as it did for years? (I say 24 hours or so because I/we
check daily for upgrades - and there haven't been any for some days
until the last 24 hours.)

Is this yet another "regression" because the devs don't have a floppy on
their computers, or wifi, or don't use K3b and therefore cannot test the
results of their 'developments'?

Or is it becaue my wife's computer has reached the 1 October 2010 date
and is now regarded as an ancient relic not worth of being supported by
anything Ubuntu?

Annoyed are you?, you ask. Ranting, you claim.

Yep - both.

BC

--
"So where's the Cannes Film Festival being held this year?"
           Christina Aquilera