TalkTalk + Huawei HG521 + Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386 + misery, ANY IDEAS?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 1 15:29:25 UTC 2010

On 10/01/2010 08:10 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 1 October 2010 16:12, r <technical500 at talktalk.net> wrote:
>> at the top right, the leftmost icon is concentric circles like a "sonar"
>> image with a red exclamation mark.
>>

> That's the puppy!
>
>> when I click that I see:
>>
>> (Wired Network)
>>  (disconnected)
>> (Wireless Networks)
>>  (disconnected)
>> VPN Connections ยป Configure VPN...
>>                  (Disconnect VPN...)
>>

> That's basically bad. It means that we didn't detect your USB wireless
> dongle (assuming it's plugged in).

He later said:
"it then says some_network_name Connection Established."

Sounds to me like a DNS issue. Perhaps putting in the DNS directly will
resolve the problem? If nothing else try 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS).

http://www.help.talktalk.net/servicestatus.htm

Firefox is also going into offline mode:
"sometimes it says "Offline mode .... try again""
He needs to make sure the browser is in online mode.