TalkTalk + Huawei HG521 + Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386 + misery, ANY IDEAS?

r technical500 at talktalk.net
Fri Oct 1 15:12:04 UTC 2010

On 01-Oct-10 08:08:59 Alan Pope wrote:
>Hi Richard,

>On 1 October 2010 02:28, r <technical500 at talktalk.net> wrote:
>> IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE?
>>

>Over 500 at the last count. :)

>> JUST SHOUT IF YOU CAN HEAR ME
>>

>"HI".

I had to do this because there was a reply earlier but not an answer

and people seeing a reply can conclude its an answer.

>> On 30-Sep-10 18:40:39 technical500 wrote:
>>>Huawei HG521 with a wireless network name SSID, and wireless password
>>>I have just installed Ubuntu 10.04.01 i386
>>>I also have a sitecom wireless USB adapter for the PC tower.
>>>and have no idea how to get connected to the internet with this,

>There's a network manager icon in the notification area at the top
>right of the screen. If you click it, it will list wireless access
>points in the area. Once you click the one which is yours it should
>ask for your password. That should be all you need to do.

ok I have booted the machine.

at the top right, the leftmost icon is concentric circles like a "sonar"
image,

with a red exclamation mark.

when I click that I see:

(Wired Network)
  (disconnected)
(Wireless Networks)
  (disconnected)
VPN Connections » Configure VPN...
                  (Disconnect VPN...)

Connect to Hidden Wireless Network...
Create New Wireless Network

() means the option cannot be used,

no access points mentioned.

if I click "Create New Wireless Network"

and give the "wireless network name"  for "Network name"

Wireless security: I tried WEP 128-bit Passphrase, none and "WPA & WPA2
Personal"

Key/Password: I gave the password

it then says some_network_name Connection Established.

but if I try to visit eg www.google.com

Firefox says "Server not found, .... try again"

sometimes it says "Offline mode .... try again"

now when I click the sonar icon, it shows some_network_name as well, and to
the right

a television icon with a sonar image, a sonar icon with a padlock,

but it doesnt show the list I get of other peoples modems which appears

on Windows (there are 2 others currently if I use the Windows laptop)

with Configure VPN, I am not sure what the values are, eg

what is BSSID?

what is Mac address? is this the MAC: number written on the modem?

what is Mode: ?

on Ubuntu sometimes a "Wireless Network Authentication Required" requester
appears,

I click "connect" and still I cannot visit URLs with Firefox.