Grub Configuration in Lucid

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Fri Oct 1 14:53:25 UTC 2010

On Friday 01,October,2010 10:22 PM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My desktop runs Ubuntu Lucid. I want to add an item to the Grub menu to
> boot from an ISO image. Here is my dpkg output for Grub:
>
> $ dpkg -l |grep grub
> ii  grub-common                           1.98-1ubuntu7
>                    GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (common files)
> ii  grub-pc                               1.98-1ubuntu7
>                    GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version)
>
> Is it possible to use this version to boot an ISO?
> I think I read once that Lucid comes with GRUB2 installed...
>
> Should I install the grub2 package?
>
> Also, can someone direct me to a resource to configure the Grub in Lucid
> to boot an ISO image?
>
> Thanks!

Yes, grub2 lets you boot an iso file, but how the menu entry is written
depends on the livecd iso itself. For example, Ubuntu uses casper and
others, like gmrl and rescuecd uses others. You need to check their boot
methods by "mount -o loop xxxxx" first to check this out.

Also casper lets you keep changes in setting and installed applications
by using 'persistent' and casper-rw.

Regards - Goh Lip