screen lock does not disappear even after sending interrupts

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 13:32:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 18:50 +0530, Tapas Mishra wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit with all the updates.
> The problem I am reporting is with gnome lock.
> Which should lock the screen only after a certain period of time the
> computer has been inert.
> What is happening in this process is when I see the screen with my
> browser and other active windows open
> slowly after some time this becomes dark and lock.
> The time which is set is in
> System --->Preferences-->Screen Saver
> is 60 minutes.
> The problem I am reporting is when at the end of 59th minutes say  55
> seconds or so I see that a screen saver is slowly becoming active then
> do some activity with my keyboard or use my mouse so that the screen
> saver does not become active these events do not have any effect on
> this process and I get a
> screen locked.
> Ideally on an event like pressing a key or moving mouse pointer to
> some random location irrespective of 59th minute and last few seconds
> when I see the screen lock slowly coming
> the computer was not idle so screen saver should not become idle.
>
> --
> Tapas

What I see, Tapas, is my screen darkening.  That is when I move my
mouse, or something, to stop the screen locking.  It provides me with
quite enough time to take action when I am, for instance, using Skype AV
to talk to my brother.  If the screen saver starts, I know the screen is
locked.  The screen saver is not a warning that the screen is about to
lock.

What would be nice is, if certain activities are running, like watching
a video or talking on Skype, that the screen saver did not cut in at
all.

Tony