Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 09:18:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 23:07 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:

> > >      It is easy to get a throwaway address at gmail. The person has just
> > > one goal and that is to join this list and send one message. That is
> > > what GARY HYPES which is a throw away name, did. He can use this for
> > > many lists and then get another.
> >

> > Is there some sort of financial reward, or something?  Seems alota effort
> > compared to just, I dunno, not doing that.
>
> I dunno, but Karl just plain didn't read what I wrote. I said >I< have
> been hit, as well as a friend of mine. I think it's malicious. Plus, it
> was later responded that Gary Hypes isn't a throw-away, but a real
> person, so just how in the hell would you know, Karl? You don't. Plain
> and simple. You did one of your guesses again. Don't do that, unless you
> state that you ~guess~ it is a throw-away name. That would be truthful.
> So no, someone is spoofing on gmail and it is happening more and more. I
> think, therefore, I shall go and complain to them. I merely asked if
> anyone else was seeing this. :) Ric

It makes very little difference whether it is a 'throwaway' address or a
'spoofed' real address as far as the list is concerned.  It is still
SPAM.

If it is a spoofed real address, then it is of concern to the real owner
of the address.  My address was regularly spoofed a couple of years ago
and I had to explain the facts of email spoofing in response to the
occasional complaint email.

The only hard fact of life in an email is the originating IP address,
but blocking/black-listing on the basis of IP addresses has its own
problems. For instance, this list was recently black-listed on SORBS,
because it IP address appears as the originator in all posts it relays.

Tony