Missing link for handling .swf streams (radio, video)

Bas Roufs basroufs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 22:55:06 UTC 2010

Hello Everybody

Thanks for all your replies so far.

> Have you installed the flash plugin?
I have tried to do so in at least 2 ways. I have followed the
instructions of sites like this one:
http://bit.ly/dYbrhn

>Or you can get it straight from http://adobe.com . . . .
This is one of the methods I have tried several times. I downloaded a
debian package from that site and tried to install it by making it
"executable" and installing it via "Gdebi". It does not really work so
far.

For the time being I stick with the half-effective result of a 2nd
method: opening a package manager, like Synaptic, giving in the key
words "adobe flash player" and installing the packages recommended
next. Video's at Youtube and elsewhere do work now, but there are
still several websites whose .swf video's do not work at all - eg. the
ones at canvas.be.

RADIO/ AUDIO streams in .swf format still do not work at all - e.g.
the one of BBC Worldservice:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/audioconsole/?stream=live

>  mihamina at packard:~$ apt-cache search flashplugin ...

Interesting idea. So, I opened a console, gave in a similar command
and got the following result:

bas at Viaconsensus2:~$ apt-cache search flashplugin
flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound - Adobe Flash Player platform support
library for Esound and OSS
flashplugin-installer - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
flashplugin-nonfree -
 (transitional package)
adobe-flashplugin - Adobe Flash Player plugin version 10

After this, I installed adobe-flashplugin, which in it's turn removed
some other flashplugin package which is being used by Kaffeine. Now, I
am able to play some video's at Youtube and elsewhere. But e.g. the
video's of canvas.be still do not work.
Moreover, no .swf AUDIO/ RADIO stream works - e.g:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?revision=18269_21576
http://www.radio1.nl/pbplayer/flash/pbplayer.swf
Can anyone give a clue how to find the still missing link(s)?
Thanks, respectfully yours,
Bas.