how to have more than one Gnome desktop on various tty's

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Tue Nov 30 18:24:33 UTC 2010

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net>
wrote:
> > True, but he is using it anyway according to the quoted text. Maybe
> > that was the problem why the commands didn't work?
>
> That is a hardware setting on most Dell Laptops for F1 or F2 or Fn
> keys to behave as a function key you need to also press a separate
> key

Ah, I didn't know or expect that. The laptops I have seen so far all had
at least the usual F1 to F10 keys. Only direct access to F11 / F12 was
missing on one machine.

> which is at left hand side of Space bar so I get to see a black
> colored screen which is the virtual console. I want to run 2 or more
> X servers for same users at different virtual consoles.

Well, the command

startx -- :1

works for me. I also tried with :2 for a third X session. And I don't
need sudo like you mentioned in that other message. But as that didn't
work for you, I think I can't help here.

Nils