Upgrading from Lucid to Maverick: Fresh, new Install vs Upgrade using Update Manager

Alan Pope popey at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 30 16:31:23 UTC 2010

On 30 November 2010 07:34, Basil Chupin <blchupin at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> The Upgrade Manager 'suggested' to me that it would take 105 minutes to
> download the upgrade files (at which point I went shopping after I
> answered "Go Ahead") and after this downloading finished it "told" me
> that it would take 90 minutes to process the new files, except that at
> the 45 minute mark the whole bloody sheebang stopped because the stoopid
> upgrade system was waiting for me answer "Yes" to the question if I
> accepted the EULA re the ttf mscorefonts -- and there was NO way I could
> respond to this because the EULA menu was BEHIND the Update Manager menu
> and there was no way which I knew (and I tried even waiving a live
> chicken's leg [from one of the chicken's next door] to bring up the
> 'background' EULA menu to be able to answer "YES!"

The tl;dr version of this mail is basically:-

* Upgrades download more than clean installs (not exactly 'news' given
many upgrades will be upgrading more packages than a base install will
have, so will inevitably have more to download)
* You unfortunately hit a bug in the upgrade process

Now, if the purpose of your mail was to rant about the upgrade then
that's done, but I'm more interested in how that can be fixed for
others. Bitching about a problem on a users mailing list wont get the
issue fixed. My personal opinion is that people bitch a lot about
upgrades but rarely do anything to help fix them. They then recommend
nobody else upgrades, thus perpetuating a cycle of fail as nobody ever
upgrades, thus valuable feedback is never given, they never get
better, and people continue to recommend nobody upgrades!

I just visited this url which (given I'm a bit sad) I hand crafted:-

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bugs

So bugs.launchpad.net slash <product name>, slash plus source, slash
<package name>, slash plus bugs.

Where <product name> is ubuntu, and <package name> is update-manager,
the tool you had the issue with. Note you can use this formula to get
to the bugs for any package in Ubuntu, replacing the <package name>.
Or just google it :) Anyway, I digress.

I then arrived at a page listing _lots_ of bugs in update-manager. I
typed "focus" in the search field because you clearly described the
issue where you had a problem with the window focus.

This url (unbroken) will take you there:-

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bugs?field.searchtext=focus&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status:list=NEW&field.status:list=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field.status:list=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.status:list=CONFIRMED&field.status:list=TRIAGED&field.status:list=INPROGRESS&field.status:list=FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=&field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_package=

Or this:-

http://linkpot.net/peaches/

Not sure if any of those fully describe the error, if not, maybe you
could file a new one?

Cheers,
Al.